History

The Crown Loft Condominiums Building is rich with St. Louis history. Built in 1906 by the Sanitol Chemical Laboratory Company, it was designed by St. Louis architect George W. Hellmuth as the manufacturing and corporate headquarters for Sanitol. The company was the first to recognize the commercial potential of this area of St. Louis, causing many other manufacturers to build in the immediate neighborhood.

Following the death of Sanitol Co-Founder Herman C.G. Luyties in 1921, St. Louis drug manufacturer Gustaves A. Pfeiffer purchased the company. In 1922 Pfeiffer moved Sanitol downtown and merged it with the Pfeiffer Chemical Company. That same year, Johnson Stephens® Shinkle Shoe Company purchased the Sanitol building. The company occupied the building as a shoe distribution and warehouse facility until 1968.

Borden Dairy and Crown Foods - a wholesale food distributor, have subsequently owned the building.

In 1986 Barnes Hospital purchased the space, with the intent on renovating the building for office use. When costs proved prohibitive, the plans were abandoned. Owen Development purchased the building in 1999.